Thursday, February 26, 2009

Crime

I've experienced crime a bit in my day. I've even partaken in some myself. But last night was a night I'll never forget.

I was riding home on the orange line from work, trying to make some plans with my friends, to have fun, when I got a call from my father. He briefly explained that a neighbor saw some kids leave my house with $2k worth of electronics and hardware. I no longer have an Xbox 360, PS3, a couple hundred dollar's worth of games, and my only working computer, a laptop inherited from my mom. I didn't really respond at first, just knew that I should go home.

I don't know who did it. Neighbor says two guys and a girl, one guy driving. But there is hope, we got 4 combinations of license plate numbers as to what they could be, and the make and model of their car, but the descriptions of the suspects are vague. Nonetheless, a license plate leads to registration, which leads to an address, which leads to my shit. C, my father and I filed a formal police report and at this very moment my father is at home waiting for some detectives to search my room for fingerprints. I don't see the prints as a big issue because the officer said most of the room was wooden stuff and don't expect them to find much via this route. But there are detectives...who will be working on my behalf! They're gonna scour the local pawn shops and try to find my shit.

I'm the last person who deserves this. I don't know what can be learned from this either. It's not so much about the electronics, but the principle. C and I did everything we could last night. I didn't even sleep in my own bed because I didn't want to mess with any possible evidence. I was uncomfortable with the officer searching my room with the bright flashlight because my room is a mess and I never vacuum. It's okay though, I'm sure they've all seen worse.

No comments: