Monday, February 23, 2009

My father

My father is depressed, keeps to himself, and works jobs below his skill level. I do not want to inherit these characteristics. However, I live with him, and want to preserve our relationship, and create a better emotional attachment. Before, this seemed like a paradox, but I think it might be possible. I've heard before...I know...only I can change things. Only I can initiate it. He won't, he's too stuck in his cycles. But sometimes I can feel bits and pieces of him rubbing off on me. I am my father's son. But I am not my father. I even have his middle name. I need to be goal-oriented and not a dreamer. But I am a dreamer. This is a long-term problem, but I'm sure moving out will help, though that is impossible to do right now. Living at home is safe and cheap and I must preserve that. This is a long-term problem.

No comments: